Sunday, October 26, 2008

Movie Review: Tropic Thunder

Missed out on Japanese Flick - 20th century boys in Singapore, but caught Tropic Thunder (TT) in HK today instead. There were raving reviews for movie TT and I was looking forward to some great fun and humour.

Ok the thing is, I am not in favour of slapstick movies or those goffy humour. TT still reeks alittle of slapstick but definitely more poshly directed. I have to give Ben Stiler some credit as director but Hmmmm.... its a pretty forgettable movie for me despite the great acting cast.

Don't get me wrong, the show did generate moments of laughter. Just not the sort of belly aching humour, although this caucasian guy behind me was definitely belting out his loudest laughter and thoroughly tickled.

Robert did a fantastic job in micking the Ozzie accent which is definitely much more difficult to sound than a typical American accent. I did a few kicks in the earlier start when they did the trailer sort of introduction of the "cast" as the "cast".

At some points, I think Ben tried a little too hard and it got a little slow for my liking when he did his Jack scene. Also, I didnt notice it but when pointed out to me, yeah, there were alittle too much swearing in the movie and so definitely not good to bring your younger kids along if you reckon they have not already been expose to all the swearing in MTV, music lyrics and all.

Credit to Tom cruise. He is at his best doing the "intense" role and yet delivering it in a pretty funny way. Esp when he did the "dance moves", everyone in the theatre roared.

All in all a good entertaining mindless movie but if I had missed it, it would not have been something I would sorry about. I think the rave reviews are a little bit overhyped....

No comments:

Post a Comment