Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Whirling back from Taipei, and Twilight...what's the fuss?

I am back!

Life has been incredibly hectic for me these few months and these weeks with the travels and people flying in and meeting them. I simply couldnt find time to blog anything nor watch anything! Dust is collecting on my PC believe it or not. I still havent finish watching BBF last few eps, but i seriously doubt I am missing anything much....

Had a great time in Taipei. Was eating and shopping so much that I was overly exhausted and if my tummy can expand anymore, I would prob look like some pregnant woman. Taipei is a haven for snacky food and chinese desserts........... I went to the 24hr bookstore Eslite and bought "Akai Ito" original novel! I had to go to 2 places to try to get hold of the 2nd installement as it was completely sold out! So i was lucky to really grab the LAST book in the store. I have to find time to read it after I finish my Twilight novels. Yeah its a reading month.



Did I mention I saw the Twilight movie on flight, and I found it impossibly boring and incredibly slow? How can such a lame teen flick garner so much hype? I much prefer Rob as Cedric in Harry potter than as Edward. He is alright as a vamp though Not so sure what the fuss is about.

However, I personally did think the novel was on a better level, readable and more captivating than the movie itself. Am now into the third installment Eclipse after finishing Twilight and New Moon. The last book is totally out of stock for now. One of the reason I prefer the written over the movie is perhaps the book was able to cover more grounds, detailing emotions and other lead up, while the flick was more cryptic about some parts which didnt make sense, till I finally read the book. I kinda cringe at those cheesy lines but oh well, it is afterall a romantic movie.

I am increasingly liking the chracter of Alice ALOT at the story development. She is just sooooo sweet!!! I cannot wait to see how the animosity between Jacob as a werewolf and Edward's clan develop due to Bella's existence and Victoria after Bella as vengence for Jame's death. Apparently the treaty states that so long as Cullen is back in town, the wolves cannot enter their terrority as part of the pact unless Cullen breaks the truce if they so choose to take a bite at anyone. This becomes tricky because Bella is sooo hell bent on wanting Edward/ Alice to transform her. Tonight, I cannot wait to start on the third book. 3 books in 2 days. Can't go any faster since I have to make the 3rd book last till I lay my hand on the 4th.

Up to date, somehow, I get the feel that the Twilight series remains of an amateur version of Laura Hamiliton's vampire/ werewolves series but Twilight series is of a more censor PG friendly version to date without the outright sexual intonation set in Laura's version.

Sorry I digress. It's hard to stick to just drama summaries at times :)
I havent sort out my pictures but I didnt take much in Taipei since I was so busy running around and soaking in hot spring.

Ok folks, next week on, I shall be back in action! All my fav anticipated drama should be on too by then!

6 comments:

elisa said...

hi there, welcome back...i envy your travels. the last time i left the country was like 2 years ago for australia. my husband is visiting taipei this july and asked if i wanted to come, does taipei only offer good food and shopping? when i go to a new place, except for the US (nothing beats US theme parks), i enjoy historical areas besides food and shopping. so, if taipei has more to offer then i might consider going with him.

this is so interesting, since mysoju and viikii are acting up and i couldn't watch any dramas lately. like you, i went back to reading. i just finished "anansi boys" by neil gaiman (my favorite author...if you like graphic novels, check out the sandman series. he also penned "stardust" which was made into a movie last year and "mirrormask", it's an adult fairytale) and now am re-reading lee harvey's "how to kill a mocking bird." have read the twilight books as these came out so i understand when you say that twilight the movie is dragging. like me, you were probably expecting too much because the book was explicit about the characters emotions that unfortunately, it didn't translate in the big screen. you are going to enjoy "eclipse". "new moon" was written to introduce the new characters essential for the last book, "breaking dawn" and to show us the dynamics between bella and jacob without edward around. you will love Alice even more. this year stephanie meyer was supposed to release "midnight sun" the twilight version in edward's point of view (you will enjoy it more, guaranteed)...however some chapters were released prematurely in the net, (you can read it in her webpage though), so she is delaying the publishing of this book. i like vampire themes so anne rice is on the top of my list. great books re-written into screenplays can disappoint fans. i was so dissastified when they made "bourne identity" into a movie which a lot of my friends couldn't understand. i just reply "you didn't read the book that is why." so far, "lord of the rings" movie is one that managed to deliver for me.

BBF, hmmmm...you are right, you didn't miss much, was so disappointed. such a pity, it started really great.

ooops...blabbed to much, welcome back and here's hoping that mysoju and viikii, get fixed soon...will check out the japanese robot love story you recommended...sorry, title slipped my mind.

elisa said...

oops harper lee not lee harvey, hahahahaha...my fascination with comic books always creep in sometimes hence my mix-up

Cincan said...

Welcome back. Glad that you have great time in Taipei
I'm pretty sure that you didn't miss a lot, since I guess we already known the ending of boys before flower and the new drama season hasn't started.
You're not the one who think that the movie version of twilight is worse that the novel. Despite reading all the four books, I'm not really a fans of the story. No offense, but in my opinion nothing really interesting in the story,just a typical love story with a vampire family as a background, I even feel that the words are a bit cheesy. The movie adaptation even worse, the path was very fast, like jumping from one screen to another screen without clear explanation. But, just like you, my fav character is Alice, I even love the Alice Jasper pair more than Bela Edward.
Well, I don't know how you feel since you haven't read the third and fourth book, but just don't put too much expectation for the ending . Tell me your opinion after you finish reading it ^^

TvADddict said...

Hey Cincan!! Glad to see u are here too!!!! :)

I know what u mean! The lines in Twilight and the subsequent books are pretty cheesy isnt it?!!! U know the first time I heard the tofu thing that Edward was explaining to Bella about not feeding on human blood, i was like "Where the hell that came from?!!" I was like "Eeeewwwe" soooo cheeeeeesy!! Well I am sure many more but i have to keep reminding myself its a teenage flick, not an adult movie to keep my eyes from rolling backwards.

Oh u are really a girl of same taste! I thought Alice Jasper pair was soooooo much better too!! Even the Bella/ Jacob thing doesnt do it for me. There is something about Bella I dont quite like. How she seem to have so little regard of her own life and ready to throw away, love or not. She is just plain weird. Edward is too saintly...i find it hard to well, believe...

Oh dear... reading your advice about not having too much expectation...i think I am going to be disappointed now. Breaking dawn is completely sold out so I have to wait till end of the month to lay my hand on it. I have finished the 3rd book and still pretty dissatisfied. Will I feel "cheated" as a reader? I hope not! I hate those leave me hanging dry series! I will certainly share my thoughts after i get to read the 4th book.

Incidentally, I bought the book novel version for the Japanese drama Akai Ito and browse thru it quickly and it seemed a little different from the drama? I could be wrong but i caught a page that seem to indicate Mei slept with someone...Oh dear. I hope I am wrong!!

Cincan said...

@Tvaddict

That's what I exactly thought about Bella too. She didn't appreciate her own life and her parents.
Forgive me for giving you disappointed feeling about the books, but it just my opinion. Some people did think that the book was great and maybe you're belong to this category.
hope you still enjoy your reading.

TvADddict said...

@Cincan, Elisa

I finally finished reading Breaking Dawn. I finally also know what you mean about the last book being not so spectacular...

While its not crappy, but its also not fantastic and kinda well, lame...

I was rolling my eyes when Bella got so aggravated about Jacob calling her daughter Nessie. Big hairy deal. What is her damn problem. I never once linked it with lock ness. I think the author is alittle ahead of herself in trying to be "creative" in dialogue. Plus what has Bella got to be so upset about? She should be glad that its jacob who is imprinted on her daughter. What? Does she think for a min her half bred off spring has a chance of liking another human, another off the world freak like her? A shape shifter is perfect.

Bella continues to annoy me in the last book though the part where she learn to control and expand her power was a small good part that stop the book from falling from grace. Edward has gone to a complete heartthrob to a wimp in my book...

Well, I cannot see how the movie will be captivating honestly, even though one can tell that the book is written with a movie conversion in mind. The book itself while not a failure, is a letdown for any discerning reader.

Say, let Twilight honestly fade into the twilight. It honestly doesnt deserves all the hype and media attention for a lampe plot as such. Then again, those 15-16yrs old would prob drive a stake through my heart for such dismayal review...

Post a Comment